Thursday, January 31, 2008

I must look like I care...

Have you noticed since getting braces that everyone you talk to has an orthodontics-related story to tell you?  I’m just over 3 weeks into this adventure, and I’ve probably heard 50 stories about “when I had braces…”, “my husband has braces”, “I hated my braces…”, “my daughter just got her braces off…”, and so on.  I realize that people are trying to empathize with me, and while I’m glad to have a “conversation piece”, I can see this getting old fast!  

 

Just because I have braces does not mean I care. J 

 

(Now, of course, my fellow “friends in braces”, this doesn’t apply to you!  If you are actively participating in the whole metal mouth experience, I welcome the chance to listen to or read your stories and comments!)

 

 

4 comments:

laura said...

People have stopped telling me stories, just had to listen to everyone's story once. Now we all just ignore the braces. Might just be that I don't meet many new people though. It was interesting sometimes, esp when people confessed that they wanted braces (I wouldn't have guessed), and when I found that one person I know has had the very same surgery. Apparently she had a severely recessed chin. You'd never know to look at her now.

bridget said...

Hi Ananda! Sometimes I wish people WOULD tell me their stories, when it's clear they want to ask about mine :) I find that more often when I meet new people, they don't mention them at all. Of course, the other day someone I met 7 months ago (shortly after I got my braces) but who hadn't seen me in a while said, "I see you have braces now!" and it was the first mention of them between us whatsoever. And then a beat later he added, "Oh wait. You had braces before didn't you? Nevermind." Haha.

Michelle said...

I find I get the wisdom tooth stories, ALOT. I guess that's the only major thing they've had done that they think can connect them to what I'm going through.
I try very hard to be patient and listen.

stephanie said...

Amen! AMEN! :-#