Monday, January 14, 2008

Rough weekend

This weekend hurt.  Not only do all my teeth still throb (how long does this last???  It’s been 5 days!), but I’ve scraped the heck out of my lips and cheeks.  I’m really trying not to whine about it TOO much, because I know that just turns off people, plus it’s not like I didn’t do this voluntarily…  Sigh…  Not to mention, some of the pain is just my own darn fault.  Yesterday at a meeting, I was absolutely starving, so I caved and tried to eat some “real” food – chocolate chip cookies and potato chips.  (Yes, stupid, I know!)  I couldn’t chew, so I tried to mash the bits I broke off between my tongue and the roof of my mouth.  Ouch!  Mistake!  Now the top of my mouth is shredded!  Grr…However, on the way home, I had a sort-of soft food epiphany… Spaghetti-Ohs!  Man, they were good.  I haven’t had spaghetti-ohs in like 10 years, but they don’t have to be chewed and they are heaven after several days of oatmeal and mashed potatoes.  

 

Does anyone have a problem flossing right after getting braces, or right after an adjustment?  My teeth are so sensitive that I can’t slide floss between the front two without almost screaming.  I’m taking the hygiene thing pretty seriously, but flossing is not fun.  Fortunately, with my new Sonicare toothbrush, there wasn’t much between my teeth…that was seriously the best purchase ever!  I also realized just how seldom I’d used mouthwash B.B. (Before Braces) – the bottle under my sink had expired in July 2006…  With all my scrapes and cuts, I was a little wary of the mean burn of Listerine, so I went with the Crest Pro-Health stuff (plus it was on sale).  Not too bad…

 

I hope everyone had a nice weekend – I went to my husband’s new band’s second gig.  It’s fun being the only person at an all-ages show with braces.  At least it was dark!

3 comments:

laura said...

They say it helps the aching teeth to chomp down on things. I'm not sure how ... increased blood flow or something? It's the last thing you feel like doing, but I think it worked with me and others have recommended it.

nabukay said...

it differs from person to person. the throbbing was really bad for me for the first 5 days and i could not speak properly. but by the sixth day i was eating solid food. a tip, if you want to eat chicken make sure its actually cooked and not sauteed like lots of people do cos it will kill your teeth. as for the was. i was using it for almost two weeks on most of my teeth and then a small piece for the back teeth but by three weeks it was fine. sorry aimee it just takes a bit of time. sometimes you can't feel them other times you can but you will feel better soon. give yourself a couple of weeks. : #

Michelle said...

Hi Ananda,
Just wanted to stop by and say hello. My teeth are always very sensitive after an adjustment. One of the girls in my ortho's office actually said I should eat a bagel. Like Laura said, I'm not sure why but it did help.
When will your surgery be and what are you having done?

Michelle