Monday, February 4, 2008

Snip snip snip

Well, my errant archwire did not stay in place after Saturday’s little episode, so I left a message with Dr. W.’s office and scored a mid-afternoon appointment today.  The OA glanced at my wire and decided that the only solution was just to clip the back-most sections until I am ready for a heavier gauge – at this point, the back brackets aren’t doing much anyway.  She also thankfully snipped the bit of wire on the top back bracket that has started to poke my cheek.  Phew!  I have a nice-sized sore there from a week’s worth of scratching and poking.  The OA comments that my teeth have moved quite a bit in this first month, so that’s good news!  In 4 weeks, I’ll head back in for a heavier wire, but until then, I’ve got these two bare spots between my first molars and my wisdom teeth*.  It feels deliciously nekkid and I’m anticipating an easier month of flossing since that’s were the majority of my food bits get stuck!  (Yes, eeewwwww…I know!)

 

*Can’t remember if I went over this bit of dental history before or not.  When I was 19 and first (1 of 3 times) considering braces, my dentist yanked out all of my second molars.  He decided that my wisdom teeth were coming in straight enough to keep and that rather than remove them, I should just get rid of the 2nd molars and make room.  Huh.  Brilliant, right?  Nope!  My wisdom teeth did come in pretty straight, but not straight enough to NOT leave a gap between themselves and the 1st molars big enough to fit half a bite of whatever I eat.  That’s right – instead of wisdom teeth, mine are smart-asses.   I think I look forward to closing these gaps more than any other improvement, at least comfort-wise.

 

Totally off-topic story:  since my ortho is all the way out by my house, I got to take a nice long break from work.  I stopped at our local wine store, where my husband and I are members of their Wine-of-the-Month Club, to pick up our Feb selection.  The nice old couple that runs the joint offered me a wine tasting (free samples of 4 weekly wines).  I declined, saying that I shouldn’t because I was heading back to work.  The old man laughed and suggested that if I was heading back to work, perhaps I should have TWO tastings instead!  Sigh…I guess wisdom does come with age… :-#  (And no, I did not partake before going back to work, don’t worry…but I certainly thought about it!)

1 comment:

chris k said...

You don't work with power tools or heavy machinery do you? I toptally would have partaken ;#