Friday, March 7, 2008

A rough adjustment

Well, yesterday was the first wire change.  The highlight of my appointment was flossing without a wire - it's amazing how much faster that goes! :-#  Then the ortho's asst. put on a rectangular "14" wire on my top teeth and a "16" on the bottom.  Does anyone know what those numbers mean - could you enlighten me please? 

 

The most disappointing part of the appt was having the ortho tell me that I wouldn't be ready for surgery for 14-18 months.  I thought he originally said 12-14, so this wasn't well-received news.  I'm not exactly patient sometimes, but I guess I have no choice but to be...

 

My next adjustment isn't for another 11 weeks!  That seems like a long time...  At that point, they'll put a 14 on my bottom teeth too. 

 

These new wires caused immediate discomfort - I couldn't even chew the soft fruit offered at my Jr. League meeting last night, never mind the 4 boxes of Girl Scout cookies I finally received.  Grrr... :)  At least I like soup and smoothies...

4 comments:

Katherine said...

Hi there - I discovered your blog from another braces-and-surgery blog, and have enjoyed reading about your adventures.. My own story is similar...am married, have my master's and am in the League. :) I think we're on a similar timeline, too, except I may be ready for surgery a bit earlier. Regards, http://babiesandbraces.blogspot.com/

chris k said...

14 and 16 refer to the wire gauge. It's the same measurement used in electrical wiring, sheet metal, and probably more familiarly, body piercings. 16 gauge is .065" thick or about a 1/16". 14g is .083". The smaller the gauge, the thicker the wire. Also, when they only mention one gauge size that means it's probably a square wire. Neat hunh?

Ananda Devika said...

You know, having had a couple of body piercings :) I guess the wires in my mouth didn't look as thick as the one they put through my eyebrow back in the day, so I decided it couldn't possibly be the size...thanks for clearing that up - maybe my memory is just foggy! :)

nabukay said...

hi ananda, just hang in there. the time goes much fasther than we think. as for the adjustments they get better. my third one was much better than usual. last night i saw someone with teeth that are really not nice and i thought to myself, at least mine will look nice once i'm done. that will be you one day, besides most of the people telling you that your teeth have improved drastically probably have really hideous teeth. at least that's what i have noticed.