Monday, November 26, 2007

Going for it

My teeth were fine as a kid.  Well, decent at least.  But as I got older, that started to change…  My mom offered to pay for braces when I was in college, but I declined – I was afraid I’d look ugly and foolish.  I looked into it again a couple of years ago, but was informed that braces weren’t going to fix my mouth – I’d also need orthognathic surgery to correct my jaw as well.  At the time, the cost seemed outrageous.  Now, at 28 and married, the time has come…I’m getting braces.  I’m going to look ugly and foolish, but at least now I have the wisdom (that comes with age!) that this is a temporary situation and I will be just that much hotter in the end.  Right? J

 

I decided to start this blog (one of my many many blogs!) to chronicle my adventure in braces and oral surgery.  Gee, how exciting!  Actually, it can be – I’ve had a great time looking over the many blogs out there of folks going through the same thing.  I tend to get a wee bit obsessive on a topic if it interests me…

 

I met with my orthodontist, Dr. Weber, on October 16th to get photos, x-rays and molds taken.  I met with my surgeon, Dr. Desa, on November 12, for a general consultation and to submit preauthorization forms to my insurance.  Still crossing my fingers on that one – you never know how insurance is going to go…

 

My “braces on” date is January 9th.  That’s 6 weeks and 2 days remaining of the ability to eat whatever my heart desires.  I’m trying to cherish these last few weeks!

1 comment:

Mrs. Shanton said...

There is NOTHING ugly nor foolish about a beautiful young woman who is taking steps to care properly for her teeth. Do not forget that. You're about to see the world with new eyes--seeing all the other adults out there with braces. They're everywhere. You just remember to keep smiling and keep your sense of humor and charm. Be gracious, be brave. Do NOT be ashamed or let on that you feel foolish, unless you smile and laugh and let everyone else around you laugh, too. So many people wish they had the spine to do what you're doing. Show everyone how it's done with dignity, girl! You're going to be so amazing!